Wednesday, August 17, 2011

15 years in the making!

I met Monette 15 years ago on January 26, 1996 at Smith’s Food & Drug. She was the in store coordinator and she is the person that gave me my job there. I forgot to mention that I was 14 years old at the time. She was like she is now from what I can see. She did not spend too much time hanging out with me probably because I was under aged and she was 28. In fact the only time we did spend together was when I helped her and her then husband move (Ken #2 & #3). Monette was not working at the store long before she transferred to a Vegas store. I only saw her once in between then and now for a couple hours.

Early December of 2010 had come and I was out with my mother and my mother’s friend Connie. Please don’t ask me why, let’s just say it was by chance so that everything could unravel the way it was supposed to. The two were talking and Connie an old friend of Monette’s had brought her up in conversation telling stories, and if you know Monette for more than an hour than you are sure to have a story to back it up with. It was that same night after I left the two and got to a computer to look Monette up, a bit cheesy but I missed her and I was compelled to reunite with an amazing woman. I sent her a message on Facebook; unaware to me that she lived on Facebook and responded to me in less than 24 hours, and in the middle of work I received her phone number and called her immediately. I had asked her if she wanted to see each other in a couple days for the weekend but she was not having that she wanted me to come up the same night. I didn’t put up any struggle because I wanted to see her too. I told my boss I had to get off early because I lived in Salt Lake and she was living way out in Eden. Like a 2 hour drive but I stayed the course and drove out through the canyon on a snowy night to see my old friend. When I got to her place to pick her up, I met Bryson for the first time, and her “roommate” Shelly. Obviously my jaw hit the floor when Monette came around the corner and she smiled. She made a B-line towards me and gave me the patented hug. We left to some hickory farms tavern out in Eden where all the locals went for a drink…. All 20 of them. Of course there was Karaoke and Monette sang great and in between her catching me up on the last 15 years and telling me that she had been married 10 times before. After a few hours and Monette calling a friend that will not be named, up to come hang out, but this was a night that he was being a boob and told her that he was going to come in his pajamas. He did come and thankfully not in his pajamas, tragically he was wearing his ridiculous cowboy hat and huge belt buckle. I met a couple locals the first night and everyone loving Monette we had people constantly coming over to talk. We stayed until closing and I took her home. We have been together ever since.

No comments:

Post a Comment